Ichari-Shahar (The Old City)
Icheri Sheher — the old quarter or inner city is located in the very center of Baku and is a real urban planning and architectural reserve, surrounded by a fortress wall. Presumably, the time of the appearance of Icheri-Sheher dates back to the XII century. The Old Quarter is one of the most densely populated areas of the Middle East, because its settlement dates back to the Bronze Age, as evidenced by numerous excavations and studies. Until the beginning of the XIX century, this quarter, inhabited by several thousand people, was the entire city of Baku.
The fortress itself had its own quarters, originally inhabited by some common features. In 1865, the southern part of the fortress wall was demolished, the stones were sold, and the proceeds went to the construction of Baku Boulevard.
A significant place in the inner city is the Palace of the Shirvanshahs, dating back to the XV century, when the Shah and moved their capital from Shamakhi to Baku. The complex is still used for folk dance festivals. The Museum of Archeology at the Institute of History and Ethnography of the National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan is located in Icheri Sheher, there is a carpet workshop nearby, which has an exhibition hall where exhibitions of Azerbaijani carpets are often held. The Icheri-Sheher complex received the status of a historical and architectural reserve in 1977, and since 2000 has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.