Svjatih Zhen Mironosic Cathedral
The cathedral was erected in Baku in 1905, with the support of Azerbaijani oil industrialist and philanthropist Zeynalabdin Tagiyev, as well as with private donations. At first the building was built of wood, and then of stone. During the Soviet Union, in 1920, the cathedral was closed. In January 1990, two shells hit the bell tower of the temple, as a result of which it was partially destroyed, but in 1991 the dilapidated building of the temple was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church and restored. During his visit to Azerbaijan, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia consecrated the Church of the Holy Myrrh-Bearing Women and awarded it the status of the cathedral of the diocese. It housed an ark with the relics of one of the 12 disciples of Jesus Christ – the Apostle Bartholomew, whom Christians consider the patron saint of Baku.